Jhokalups Field Operation Action Report 6
Bakunin vs USAriadna Ranger Force
300 ITS X – Supplies – Limited Insertion
Welcome again to another Field Ops Action Report. This week was a rematch against Sprocketgx, we called our last game early. This week we were still practicing Limited Insertion for a local event and for the Emerald City Incursion MKII (Improving our skills improves our opponents, or something like that).
SprocketGx – 10
Jhokalups – 6
1st Turn: Jhokalups
1st Deploy: Jhokalups
SprocketGX USARF list:
Jhokalups Bakunin List:
Sprocket won the WIP roll and wanted to go first, then he looked at the table. Since there was clearly a better side, he chose to take it. So, I wound up choosing to go first as Sprocket moved his stuff to the superior side.
I was also had the privilege of deploying first. I hid the Grrls link on, around and inside a silo on my right. Zoe decided that was a good place to hide as well. My Reverend Harris was on a catwalk to my left and I held π-Well as my reserve.
Sprocket put 4 of the five marauders up on the catwalks looking over the central objective and the objective on my right, the last was just below The blackjack took a sniper nest on my far left in the deployment zone. Rosie was behind cover to take a look at the central objective. The unknown ranger was in cover looking over the objective on my left.
Top of 1: Bakunin
To start things off I knew I needed to clear out the Heavy Rocket Marauder. The Reverend link crawled and then put up white noise near π-Well. Then that link activated again to put assisted fire on him. π-Well then activated and used the white noise to shock the Paramedic Marauder off the table. Then the HRL Marauder was shocked off the table. Another order put Rosie into dogged. A fourth dodged the sniper out of my ability to shoot. I spent the rest of my orders positioning the riot Grrls up the board.
Bottom of 1: USARF
With the unknown ranger as the last specialist, Sprocket needs to focus on protecting it. The Devil Dog takes it’s impetuous move, jumping down into the middle of the board. Then an irregular order puts the Devil Dog in a good spot to start laying down the pain onto the Reverend link.
Next Van Zant drops in and uses another order to come up and shoot Zoe off the field. After the second regular order where all the Reverends successfully dodge, I notice that Pi-Well has line of sight to the Devil Dog, and could be AROing. So the next shot he takes Pi-Well shoots back and puts a wound on the Devil Dog. A few orders later and the Reverend Healer goes down but is unconscious.
Top of 2: Bakunin
My goals for this turn were to deal with the Devil Dog, Blackjack and get my specialists in a position to retrieve some boxes. I start by moving Pi-Well and having him take a shot at the dog. The dog succeeds in setting up smoke. The Custodier can now put up shock support on Pi-Well. Who fires an exchange with Van Zant and shocks him off the table. The Riot Grrls are brought further up the field, I am looking at getting the heavy infantry close to his HVT for some classifieds. The Missile Launcher Grrl also takes a shot at the Blackjack and successfully puts him into Battle Ravaged. I use my last regular order to put the HD+ Custodier into Cybermask.
Bottom of 2: USARF
Sprocket Cancels the Devils Dogs Extreme Impetuous Order. He stands up a Marauder Sniper and shoots Pi-Well in the back. I misunderstand my ARO options and fail a dodge, Pi-Well goes unconscious. With Pi-Well unable to re-act the Devil Dog declares an Idle while in base with the Unconscious healer. The AHD Custodier Declares a dodge, and the Devil Dog steals the Healer, completing a classified objective. The Unknown Ranger repositions up to a wall closer to the objective. And the Marauder link reposition to cover some stairs, walkways and objectives.
Top of 3: Bakunin
I am down to just a few specialists. The Riot Grrl Missile Launcher trys again on the blackjack and winds up dieing. I relink the remaining Grrls and try to get use the Specialists Blitzen to shut down blackjack. I am 1 inch into the unfavorable range band, so I miss my two shots, that Grrl may have also taken a wound. I reposition the link again and have the other Riot Grrl with a Blitzen take a shot at Blackjack, I get one hit and Sprocket crushes the Arm rolls with a pair of 17’s. With just a few orders left I need to focus on objectives. I spend an order to divide the Grrls up, sending the spitfire forward to shoot at the Unknown ranger while sending another Grrl off towards the HVT. When the Unknown Ranger fails to go down, I send the specialist and spitfire forward. I claim a classified with the Boarding shotgun riot grrl and the HVT. Unfortunately I don’t have enough orders to get the Specialist Grrl in contact with the objective. I pass the turn.
Bottom of 3: USARF
Once again the Extreme Impetuous order is canceled on the Devil dog. The marauder link activates and lays down fire on the Riot Grrl Specialist and Spitfire, they both succeed their dodges. Next up the Unknown ranger starts putting shots into the Spitfire and the Specialist, they ARO back and both take wounds. The trick is repeated and they both go down.
Sprocket is free to have the Unknown Ranger run up and snag the Objective, which he succeeds the roll at. And that’s the end of the game.
Final Score: 7 – 1 USARF Victory
- I need to mark my bases to make front arcs clear, I missed some opportunities because it wasn’t obvious to me where my models were facing.
- I need to pay attention to all the field and not just the models that are activating. I missed several opportunities to have Pi-Well ARO against the Devil Dog.
- Pi-Well is amazing! But he is also a Forward Observer, which means he has access to Flash Pulse. Had I remembered Flash Pulse and that Pi-Well could have ARO’d the dogs when they first jumped up, I could have likely stopped that avenue of attack in it’s tracks. On my active turn I could have also used it to shutdown any ARO opportunities that the Devil Dog would have had.
- I need to remember my LT order. I had a plan to coordinate a jump for the AHD Custodier and Pi-Well to be on the ground and running towards boxes. I used the order to instead Cybermask my HD+ custodier. As my LT she could have used that order and let Pi-Well and the other Custodier be on the ground without any consequence.
- When the game first started Sprocket had wanted to go first, but then switched to choosing deployment. I did a lot of my deployment as if I were going to go second. Many of my troops were not in a good position for what they could do. Particularly the Riot Grrls and at least one member of the Reverend link.
- The HD+ profile had a pitcher. My first orders moved that pitcher further and further from where I needed it. Had I paid attention to the pitcher I could have gotten the HD+ custodier close enough to drop the pitcher by Blackjack, the the AHD could have used Icebreaker to shut down one of the only hackable heavy infantry in Ariadna.
- The table itself was a bit of an issue. We were set up on a section of a long table, so it was difficult to get to the sides of the table. This made moving under the gang planks awkward at best. I definitely messed up my movement and ARO opportunities because of my ability to see what was going on.